"It is estimated that 1 square mile of land would be enough to provide all the pitches that are needed in the UK and largely solve the problem of unauthorised encampments."
Equality and Human Rights Commission, 2009
Despite provision of some Local Authority site accommodation (currently 41 ptiches) on the outskirts of Leeds at Cottingley Springs, there remain number of Leeds based families for whom no site accommodation has been available. For many years these families were subject to a constant round of eviction, traditional stopping places were blocked off and they were obliged to park in areas which caused conflict with settled people. The families were disregarded and demonised by public media and by Local Authorities. Hopefully all that is changing...
We want to see improvements in the security and standard of the homes where Gypsy and Traveller people live.
- We provide direct housing and accommodation advocacy support, whilst improving links with mainstream support to signpost families. This service is provided via telephone and social media, drop in to the office and outreach to where our members live. We are very grateful for the ongoing support of the Embassy of Ireland Emigrant Support programme which has provided significant funding to support this vital work.
- We have developed significant partnership work with Leeds City Council and other stakeholders to raise awareness and positive solutions for the homeless and travelling families in Leeds. More information about the results of this work can be found here.
- We have worked closely with local media to promote positive public debate and share best practice information around managing unauthorised encampments. We work to raise and facilitating public discussion which dispels myths and promotes respect and equity
- Liasing and support clients at court and with planning related issues
- Leeds Baseline Census 2004-2005 Baseline Census
- Bradford Gypsy and Traveller Needs Assessment 2006 Needs Assessment
- Gypsies and Travellers: Simple Solutions for Living Together EHRC
- Working with Housed Gypsies and Travellers Shelter
- Leeds City Council Scrutiny Enquiry report January 2011 link here
- Leeds GATE submission to Scrutiny Enquiry GATE
- Roadside families submission to Scrutiny Enquiry
- Negotiated Stopping Leeds case study